Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Soccer Dolls

Rag Doll Soccer Player

I am the coach of a 4-5 year old girls soccer team, named the Jaybirds. Our team has been together for 4 seasons and so we have become a really close knit group. We all appreciate the fact that all the kids and all the parents get along so well.

Rag Doll Soccer Player

Well, I wanted make my girls some rag dolls for a while and while designing them out I thought I would dress the dolls in soccer uniforms... then it occurred to me that all the Jaybirds would love a doll for Christmas.

Rag Doll Soccer Player

I tried to make each doll as unique as the girl they represented. Each with a different hair style and hair color, but with the same blue uniform and black shorts. The soccer balls on their shirts are painted on.

Rag Doll Soccer Player

I also painted each one with their name and number on the back of the jerseys.

Rag Doll Soccer Player

The faces are painted with black fabric paint.

Rag Doll Soccer Player


The girls loved them!
Want to make a couple of your own? Here's how:
Cut out the base body parts out of flesh colored fabric.


Rag Doll Soccer Player

Cut out 4 sleeve pieces and 2 shirt pieces out of what color you want to make the shirt. Hem the bottom of all 4 of the sleeve pieces and the neckline and bottom of the shirt, front and back pieces.

Cut out 4 leg pieces of the shorts and 2 short pieces from the black. Hem the top of the shorts and the bottoms of the leg pieces.


 Rag Doll Soccer Player

Cut the desired hairstyle out of felt. Doubling any pigtails or ponytails and sewing them together, wrong sides together and don't flip.
Sew the hairstyle onto the head- stitching nicely around the bangs that frame the face and by the neck on the back of the head.

Rag Doll Soccer Player

Next, sandwich two pieces of the shirt sleeve between 2 of the arm pieces (all right sides together) and sew around leaving an opening at the top. Then turn inside out and stuff.
Do the same for the legs (the seam on the legs will be at the top of the thigh so make sure the hems of the short match up or it will look funny).

Rag Doll Soccer Player

Baste the shirts, shorts and pigtails onto the front and back of the main body pieces. Then bast the arms onto the body.
Put the right sides together and sew around the body leaving the bottom of the doll open. Flip the doll inside out and stuff.
Fold the bottom of the inward and pin the legs and the bottom closed. Stitch straight across with black thread- and you're done! 


Rag Doll Soccer PlayerRag Doll Soccer Player

I tied the bows and hand stitched them on tight.

Rag Doll Soccer Player

My little soccer players are as cute as their dolls =)
~Jessica

Ladybird Ln

7 comments:

  1. Very cute and fun and generous to them and to us. Thank you, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! thanks for the patterns

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY CUTE!! I am in the process of making some for my girls' friends in dance class. The legs are cut from pink material (to mimic tights). I painted the feet white and tied very thin white ribbon around the ankle (tacked it at the back then tacked the center of the bow so it wouldn't come undone). I also extended the t-shirt sleeves so that they are long (like the girls' leotards), then made a simple tu-tu and tied it around the waist.

    What a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute all !!! Good idea !!! I am sure everyone loved them !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pattern. The doll is adorable and I would love to make one for my great-granddaughter. However, I have 2 problems: How do I print the pattern, and how tall is the doll? My granddaughter is only 1 year old, so I don't want to make a doll that is too big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just save the file and print it out in any size you want. That way you can control the size of the doll, however big or small you want. Mine were around 12 inches tall....

      Delete
  6. Bravo très bellles poupées,merci pour le tuto

    ReplyDelete