Sunday, August 14, 2011

Texas Drawstring Bag

My husband and I just took a week vacation in Florida, without the kids, to visit some good friends that moved out there a couple years ago. 
We got them a gift to say "Thanks!" for being such greats hosts! But I wanted to include something that was personal, handmade and Texan! And thus the idea of making a drawstring bag to put the gift in... 



The bag was easy to make, I made it with some left over denim fabric, cut it into a rectangle. I sewed the flag design onto the front side before sewing the 3 outsides of the bag.
I used some old T-shirts to make the flag, I think it makes the bag have a nice casual comfortable look. I folded under all the sides of the "triangles" and sewed around the edges. But since the knit wont fray I could of just left the edge raw. I then zig-zagged around the star and I was done.

Next I made the bag:
1. Make 2 button holes on each side of the bag about 1 inch down from the top.
2. Fold down the top of the bag 1 inch and sew along the bottom edge, leaving a casting for the ties.
3. Insert the ties, string the first one through the buttonholes on one side and wrap all the way around to come back to the other buttonhole next to the one you started with. String the second tie the same way but going around the opposite way, through the other button holes.




And you're done!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this, especially the diagram showing how to thread the cord. I was really struggling with this before I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete