Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Superhero Costumes


So when deciding on the kids' Halloween costumes this year I thought of all the handmade costumes in the box in our attic and decided that it would nice if these costumes got to be worn more than once. So I took a look in the girls dress-up clothes box and thought superhero capes would be a nice addition to their pretend play.... and I suckered in my son because I thought it would be cute if they all matched =)

Once I made the capes and masks I thought the costumes needed more- so I made boot covers, belts and wrist covers.

The design was simple- I cut out the capes from 2 pieces of fabric, appliqued the J's and lightening bolts before stitching the 2 right sides together, and then flipping it inside out.



I did the same for the wrist bands. I used velcro the length of the covers so that they fully closed. 

For the boot covers I used the tutorial on eHow: click here. 
I also used this diagram for my measurements:
Create a Footwear Cover Pattern 
You will need the tutorial here: About.com to understand the diagram.
I sandwiched some quilting batting in between 2 pieces of fabric to give the covers a little bit of stiffness so they hold their shape. I appliqued some lighting bolts on them also because I thought they were too boring. I sewed a piece of elastic on the underneath of the boot covers to hold them down and on the shoes.



Next I added the "J" belt to break up all the black. I just used Velcro to close the belt which makes it a little more adjustable also.


And there you have it- a League of Superheros! or the Super J's!


All you evil doers better watch out...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for shopping at Superhero  costumes. Superhero  costumes offer the largest variety of officially licensed Superhero  costumes on the Internet. Superhero  costumes carry the popular Super Hero costumes like Batman, Superman and Spiderman as well as the obscure costumes like The Flash and Green Lantern.

    ReplyDelete