Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Glee Inspired Refashion

Glee Inspired Refashion

I am a huge Gleek, I love everything about the show, the drama, the songs, the fashion... one of my favorites is Blane. I can't really explain it because I don't think just anyone can pull off the high water, bow ties and cardigans that he does but I know I am not the only one since when I went google image searching for inspiration for my son's birthday photo outfit I found a million posts on his fashion.

Blane from Glee Fashion

Now, my 8 year old son doesn't actually understand how the whole geek look can be fashionable so he refused the bow tie and I tried to tone it down a bit with a solid color shirt but I still like the finial outfit. I made it bey refashioning a sweater too small for my husband and an old tie.

Refashion Cardigan from a Sweater

Here is the sweater. I used a sweat shirt of my son's to size the arms, legnth and width. 
Refashion Cardigan from a Sweater

Use the sweat shirt top of the sleeve to make the slope.

Refashion Cardigan from a Sweater


Use the body of the sweat shirt to trim down the width and legnth of the sweater.
Refashion Cardigan from a Sweater
Cut the front of the sweater in half and angle the the front into a v.
I used an old ribbed t-shirt to cut into strips to make the trim around the front and neck. You can use left over fabric from the original sweater if you started with a bigger sweater or have a smaller child.

Refashion Cardigan from a Sweater

 I added buttons down the front and I was done.
Glee Inspired Refashion

The tie I refashioned from an old one from my husbands' closet. I cut it into 5 pieces- 15 inches for the front piece, a little shorter for the back piece, 7.5 inches for the neck straps, and 6 inches for the fake knot.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Take out the stitching on the back of the tie.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Fold it in and iron it on both side so the the tie is thinner.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

You might have to cut off the edges if they hang over the side.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Fold under the raw edge and iron it flat.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Here is how the front looks, the same but thinner.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Now take the 6 inch piece for the fake knot and fold it like this:
Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Then tuck in the point this made into the pocket you made with the fold.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie
Iron the fake knot into this shape.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Hand stitch the back of the front piece closed.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Stitch the front piece of the tie and the back piece of the tie together at the top.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Squeeze the top together and sew through the gather then wrap the thread around the top several times before tieing off.
Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie
Unfold the fake knot and placing right sides together open the flap and match it to the top of the gather.
Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie


Sew the fake knot to the front piece attaching it to the inside flap so when folded back on the pressed folds the stitching isn't seen.
Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Stich the fake knot closed on the back making sure that the kot is secured.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

Attach the two side pieces onto the back of the fake knot. Sew two pieces of Velcro onto the ends of the straps. And you are done.

Refashion a Tie into a Kid's Tie

A very Glee-ful outfit!

A Glee Inspired Refashion

No comments:

Post a Comment