Sunday, April 15, 2012

Star Wars Prom Dress

Star Wars dress

So with my first commissioned sewing project I figured out a few things... one I am old. To me prom was all satin and formal but obviously not in this day and age. Two- it is really hard to sew for someone that isn't there to try on the outfit at all points in the process.
And with that I give Katie's Star Wars Prom Dress!


Star Wars dress
I used Simplicity Pattern 2444 for the bodice, except making it into a v-neck and have a v-back.
I made the skirt by doubling her waist measurement so that the gather was extreme and puffed out the bottom of the dress.

Star Wars dress

The unique sleeves were totally Katie's design. Here is how I made it come to life:




I started with the sleeves from the Simplicity  and cut out the center section.

And sewed the center "straps" to the side piece of the sleeve.


Then the other side so it looks like this.


I sandwiched the straps between the sleeve and the liner (same shape as the sleeve) and sewed along the same edge again.


Flip it over and top stitch over the edge. Now sew it to the dress the same way your would the sleeve with out the missing pieces.

Star Wars dress 

I made the petticoat from the tutorial from sugardale.blogspot.com. It turned out perfect and I am on to making two for my daughters, I think that a few of their dresses would benefit from a little poof.

Star Wars dress

Star Wars dress

It turned out to be a really cool dress, Katie has an eye for fashion! Hope you have a great Prom!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job! Katie looks beautiful. Such a unique style - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I love you. I made a prom-ish dress from a Star Wars quilt cover {for myself}

    I am in love with your geekiness :D

    Also I freaking love those sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing - lovely work! You seem to be my kind of geek :-)

    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such an awesome dress! You did a great job, and she looks beautiful in it! Thank you for the instructions on the sleeves too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!!! Where did you get the star wars fabric?!

    ReplyDelete