So with my first commissioned sewing project I figured out a few things... one I am old. To me prom was all satin and formal but obviously not in this day and age. Two- it is really hard to sew for someone that isn't there to try on the outfit at all points in the process.
And with that I give Katie's Star Wars Prom Dress!
I used Simplicity Pattern 2444 for the bodice, except making it into a v-neck and have a v-back.
I made the skirt by doubling her waist measurement so that the gather was extreme and puffed out the bottom of the dress.
The unique sleeves were totally Katie's design. Here is how I made it come to life:
I started with the sleeves from the Simplicity and cut out the center section.
And sewed the center "straps" to the side piece of the sleeve.
Then the other side so it looks like this.
I sandwiched the straps between the sleeve and the liner (same shape as the sleeve) and sewed along the same edge again.
Flip it over and top stitch over the edge. Now sew it to the dress the same way your would the sleeve with out the missing pieces.
I made the petticoat from the tutorial from sugardale.blogspot.com. It turned out perfect and I am on to making two for my daughters, I think that a few of their dresses would benefit from a little poof.
It turned out to be a really cool dress, Katie has an eye for fashion! Hope you have a great Prom!