Thursday, May 10, 2012

Girl on Fire! Hunger Games Inspired Dress


Well, it is now Week 5 of Project Run & Play. I am participating in the Sew Along Challenge, this weeks' theme was Movie Inspired. So here is my dress inspired by The Hunger Games. 


When I first read the theme for this week I immediately wanted to make a dress that was on fire! I had read the books before the movie came out and had fallen in love with the idea of a dress that looked like it was on fire. I had some trouble with this dress, my first plan didn't work out so great so after many late nights I arrived at something else entirely..


I started with the bodice from Simplicity Pattern 2644


I used the dress variation with the darted bodice and the slitted short sleeves. This was a pretty simple pattern except for the dart in the center of the bodice. The diagram was really confusing on what they wanted you to do with tacking and where the gathers were suppose to be placed. I think I did it right....


For the dress bottom I used one of my daughters A-line dresses as a pattern (my last week's entry for the Project Run & Play Sew Along).


I added gathered tulle onto the skirt to make the fire. I had gold, orange and red but to make it appear more gradual and more like fire I mixed and matched the colors.


Next I headed back over to Dana from MADE's tutorial on measuring out a circle skirt and making the skirt only 4 inches long I created the top ruffle.


I attached it to the skirt before attaching the whole thing to the bodice. The pattern called for buttons at the back but I just went with a basic zipper.








8 comments:

  1. Such a fun fun fun dress!! Love it! And guess what, I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! i always get stuck with patterns. i find it easier to just refer to dresses we have in the closet. maybe some day i will learn how to read patterns:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I'm talking about! Looks great. Better than the CG movie "circle skirt"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, totally stunning. I LOVE the hunger games :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fun! And I like your version better than the one in the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just too fun, fierce, and adorable. Cleverly and nicely inspired by the color scheme of the movie!

    ReplyDelete