Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Dress for Me and a Realization....

Simplicity Pattern 2444
So I have been making so many kids clothes these last couple months, I thought I would make myself a dress that I could wear to church at the family reunion in South Dakota next month.

Simplicity Pattern 2444
I went with Simplicity Pattern 2444. I choose the short sleeve variation with the cool 1950's stand up collar.



The pattern is fantastic and I will be certainly using it again. It is really simple with no lining or millions of pieces and it went together fast and easy. I even finished it in one night.

I will say that the pattern runs really small, I mean really small. I looked at the measurements before starting the dress and thank God, because I usually just go with the size I normally wear and then adjust from there. But I had to make this dress 2 sizes bigger than what I normally wear and it fits perfectly.

Simplicity Pattern 2444

I think that the stand up collar is really cute and adds some interest to an otherwise plain dress/design.

Simplicity Pattern 2444

And this is when I realized something... how different my taste in clothing is for myself and for my kids. I mean look at this dress. This is what I always wear, solid colors in simple traditional clothing.

Simplicity Pattern 2444

But for my kids, esp my girls, I love to think of every piece as a work of art. How I can make them stand out... while I make my clothes to blend in. I mean really, I have 3 navy blue dresses now that I have made myself in this last 2 years!
Simplicity Pattern 2444

So I am going to try and be more adventurous in my clothing... maybe not applique superheros on to my dress or a huge rainbow butterfly on my skirt but I am going to at least try some patterned fabrics and some different color combinations!

So watch out skirt week, my next project is to make myself a stand out skirt!!

8 comments:

  1. Great dress - Navy is such a classic colour. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is beautiful, I have real trouble working from patterns :-( you're so talented. I'm really looking forward to seeing your skirt. I adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress I love the colour looks great on you!! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress! The fit and style are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous! Perfect colour for you too! I know what you mean about pattern sizing...its so different to clothing sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Dress. I want one just like it :)

    ReplyDelete