So this week is the final week for Project Run & Play, I am participating in the Sew Along group. This week's theme is "Signature Look". So here is mine!
I based the idea off of Subway Art that I have been seeing all over the Internet this last year.
Not familiar with Subway Art? Here are some of my favorites: Lil Blue Boo did hers for New Year Resolutions and I Am Momma Hear Me Roar did hers on a huge piece of plywood for under $7! (I am going to be making one of these next for this very empty space on my stair well). I thought that this would be a cool concept to use on apparel so I thought I would applique the words on to dresses for my girls.
I took look at the clothing I have created for my kids this last year I decided that my Signature Look would be that I like to add an element of flare, something to stand out, something artistic, and place it on a simple, basic well designed, dress, shirt, skirt, etc.
For my littlest, Julia's dress I used Simplicity Pattern 1949. The same pattern I used for my Hand painted Earth Day dress. (It is my new favorite pattern!) This time I did the one with short sleeves and rounded neckline. I paired it with just an a-line skirt for the bottom so that the words are more readable.
For my elder daughter, Jaden's dress I made up the pattern. I really like the way it turned out and how well it fits I wish I would of made a more detailed pattern that I could use again. I wanted it to have a kimono like feel with a high waist and again a simple a-line skirt, which I feel I accomplished.
Now for the words...
I choose to do phrases about each one of my girls, little saying that I thought pertanded to them, nicknames I use for them, etc. So these dresses are as original as they are!
First I designed out the words on Adobe Illustrator- size, kerning, etc.
Then fit all the words on to the 12"by 12" mat in my Sure Cuts Alot program for my cricut.
Then after watching a nice video on youTube I figured out how to cut fabric with my cricut & it worked!! All you have to do is set the blade on 4, slowest speed, and highest pressure.
You iron the interfacing on to a piece of 12" by12" fabric, pull off the paper and stick taht side, the glossy side on to the cricut mat.
And it worked! I have had some problems with getting my cricut to do want I want it to do. But this worked great and so after I pulled all the little letters off the mat I arranged them on to each skirt, leaving room for the hem on the side, top and bottom.
I little chalk helped me keep everything straight. Then I ironed everything down. The most time consuing part was to zig-zag stitching around the letters. But atually it wasn't too bad since for the little letters I just zig-zaged around the entire letter instead of outlining them.
After I finished the dresses I added a pop of color, I chose lime green.
I used a damask ribbon and made a pleated belt on one of the dresses and a ribbon belt and pleated ruffle on the bottom of the other.
So there it is my signature look!
Two special little dresses for my special little girls.
I made their little white legging from old t-shirts last year in this post: Refashioning Is New To Me!
Project Run & Play has been so fun for me this year. I have grown so much in my sewing skills as well as in my designs. I stuggled to meet the deadlines, come up with ideas and even had to relize that some ideas just don't come out as you thought! Being in a contest has really challanged me and I loved every minute of it. So I am off to make a couple skirts for Skirt Week over at Crafterhours blog!!!
Have a great weekend!