Thursday, May 3, 2012

Color Me Blue...


Project Run & Play Week 4: Sew Along! This weeks theme was color...so I took it literally and created this Blue Crayon Dress. Just a fun little t-shirt dress with whimsical appliques.


I choose blue for my theme because of these baby blues...


My middle daughter is the only one in my family that has blue eyes, we have brown. And they are real blue... my sister has told me the odds of 2 brown eyed people with a dominant gene having a child with light blue eyes is but she's a doctor so her language sometimes is over my head or in one ear and out the other =)


I started with my favorite maternity t-shirt. I loved it because it was a great blue color, really thick jersey knit material, and it was always the closest thing I had to wear that was like my pre-pregnancy wardrobe. Anyways I kept it, but I thought it was time to give it a new life as something else.


Using my daughter's t-shirt I cut out the t-shirt dress as just an A-line dress.


The hardest part of this outfit was finding the right colors. I went through all my fabric stashes and grabbed all the blues- old clothes, curtains, new fabric, felt, anything that was blue.


Then I paired them up to make the crayon tips and the wrappers.


Drew out my big crayon.



Then I traced out everything- 4 tips, 4 wrappers, 8 black wavy patterns, and 4 Crayola logos.


Iron all he pieces together.


For the logo I cut the outer black out of fabric but for the word, Crayola, I just painted in with fabric paint.


Then I zig-zaged around all the black fabric pieces, leaving the edges of the crayon raw for now.


Until all 4 looked like this. 


Next you have to iron the crayons on to the dress. Then zig-zag around the whole crayons in blue.


An after thought was to add the "scribbles." I just used the same fabrics I did for the crayons and sewed them directly onto the dress in different patterns. 


And there you have it- A dress fit for a fun day at school.



Jaden would like to make it known that she thinks that Project Run & Play is too long. She is tired of all the photo shoots and all the smiling. She likes the clothes but she says no more... So I guess the beautiful dress I have planned for next week's Movie Theme week will just go to her little sister....


Hope you all are having a better day than Jaden....




10 comments:

  1. Wow. Your color-themed dress is amazing! Your squiggle afterthought is fantastic! Liz and Elizabeth, HELLO? I think y'all have a contestant for the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING. I started reading your blog after the stunning superhero dress and I think you've topped it with this. I ADORE it. How special for your daughter to be able to wear one of a kind clothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This one certainly got her a lot of attention grocery shopping this week, I think she likes the attention more than anything else!

      Delete
  3. What a neat dress! I came to your blog because I saw the brown dress and got distracted with this one. Lots of work and creativity in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mother loves the brown one but I think this one is my favorite, it is certainly going to get worn a lot!

      Delete
  4. What a cool idea! And what a fun photo with the balloons. Tell Jaden she's too pretty to be pouty and at least she's getting some really cool dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pouty is her middle name :) hurry up and have that baby so I can make some baby clothes!

      Delete
  5. I love the level of detail you put into your work...so awesome. My older girl is getting tired of all the photo shoots too. I am not ashamed to admit I bribe her with treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks! And yeah I am thinking that bribing is the way to go.... Begging isn't working anymore!

      Delete