Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cynthia Rowley, Simplicity 1873


 So I made my annual road trip from Texas to South Dakota for our family reunion again this summer. For such an occasion I thought I needed a new dress for church on Sunday.
I choice the Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 1873 pattern and a black and red pinstripe fabric.
I used version A of the pattern- the longer skirt and the short sleeves but I liked the neckline on version C better so I swapped out the bodice.
The unique part of this pattern are the pleats. There are pleats EVERYWHERE! Even on the sleeves (my favorite part). The pleats on the skirt are confusing and I had to repin them a couple times to get them right.
Another unique attribute to this pattern is that the bodice and sleeves are completely lined. It made the dress warmer than a summer dress in Texas should be but mostly because the pinstriped fabric I chose was thick.
The dress came out exactly as the pattern cover and was true to the measurements on the back. I would suggest taking your measurements and checking the sizing because the size I made was 2 sizes bigger than what I am wearing in commercially bought clothes.

After I finished the dress I thought it needed a belt. I used New Look pattern 6144 just for the belt (I haven't made the dress from this pattern yet).
The belt looks good with the dress and it turned out to be a really comfortable, easy to wear dress that I should be able to wear to work also.

1 comment:

  1. I love your dress! That pinstripe is fantastic and the pleats are awesome :)